Juneau Alaska Travel Guide:
Are you looking for things to do in Juneau Alaska? Here is your complete guide for the best things to do.
Top 5 things to do in Juneau, Alaska:
There isn't a better way to cruise Alaska, than a custom cruise with Custom Alaska Adventures. They are the leading small ship cruising company in all of Alaska.
Small ship cruises vary greatly from Large cruise ships as they are more intimate and vary their cuisine and excursions based upon what you want to eat and the excursions that you love to do.
Things to do in Juneau when it's raining?
The best time to travel to Juneau is during the summer when the temperature is the warmest, averaging 61 - 65 degrees, and the average rainfall is the lowest.
When it's raining, you can still do things in Juneau, but you have to make sure to bring your umbrella and raingear regardless. Traveling to view the Mendenhall Glacier is still quite a bit of fun if it's raining as the views can be very dynamic.
As long as the rain clouds don't soak in the mountains, its amazing to go on the Goldbelt Mount Roberts Tramway as it's an enclosed tram where you can stay dry. Read more about the Mendenhall Glacier and Tramway below.
Mendenhall Glacier Juneau Alaska
- Mendenhall Glacier: Located at the end of Glacier Spur Road, Juneau, AK 99801
- Ph: 1 907-789-0097
- Why it's amazing: Mendenhall glacier you will see a thirteen-mile-long river of ice, which stops on the far side of Mendenhall Lake. Mendenhall glacier is open to visitors starting in May and closes in Sept. All ages can see the glacier and fees vary.
- Tracy Arm Fjord: Located in the Tongass National Forest, Juneau, AK
- Why it's amazing: The Tracy Arm Fjord is 45 miles south of Juneau. It is narrow waterway surrounded by sharp cliffs that rise 3,000 feet. The fjord can be accessed by boat and visitors can take a boat tour that last all day. The price for a boat excursions vary and they run from May through September.
- Juneau Whale Watch: 323 Martin Way, Juneau, AK 99801-1377
- Ph: 1 844-494-2537,
- Why it's amazing: Juneau Whale Watch is a boat tour company that offers many different boat tours. Visitors will see whales, and many other wildlife on this excursion. Prices vary depending on type of boat tour, and they are open year round.
- Nugget Falls:
- Located in the Mendenhall trail, Juneau, AK,
- Ph: 1 907-789-0097
- Nugget Falls is in the Tongass National Forest and is a 0.8 miles long.
- Goldbelt Mount Roberts Tramway: 490 S Franklin St, Juneau, AK 99801-1328,
- Ph: 1 907-463-3412
- Why it's amazing: Goldbelt Mount Roberts Tramway is the only aerial tramway in southeast Alaska. The cars rise 1,800 feet from the ship dock in downtown Juneau. The tramway is open May-Sept. and prices varies adults: $33 all day, youth age 6-12 $16 all day, and kids 5 and under are free.
Goldbelt Mount Roberts Tramway Juneau Alaska
Top 5 Lodging In Juneau, Alaska:
- Best Western Country Lane Inn: 9300 Glacier Hwy, Juneau, AK 99801
- Westmark Baranof Hotel: 127 N Franklin St, Juneau, AK 99801-1222
- Best Western Grandma'S Feather Bed: 2358 Mendenhall Loop Road, Juneau, AK 99801-8001,
- Travelodge Hotel Juneau: 9200 Glacier Hwy, Juneau, AK 99801-7002
- Driftwood Hotel: 435 W Willoughby Ave, Juneau, AK 99801-1786
- Frontier Suites hotel: 9400 Glacier Hwy, Juneau, AK 99801
- Ph: (907) 790-6600
- General Info: Frontier Suites hotel is not only right next to the airport, but is is also really close to the incredibly popular Mendenhall Glacier. The frontier Suites has also been newly renovated.
Juneau, Alaska Restaurants:
Tracys King Crab Shack
- Tracy's King Crab Shack: 432 S Franklin Street, Juneau, AK 99801-1391
- Ph: 1 907-723-1811
- Tracy's King Crab Shack was established in 2006 and is located downtown Juneau, Alaska right next to the docks of the cruise ships. They are known for their crab bisque (which took 3rd place at the 2010 Great American Chowder cook off). Also, you can't beat their Alaskan King crab legs. Not surprisingly, its about as fresh as you can get!
- Hangar On The Wharf: 2 Marine Way Ste 106, Suite 106, Juneau, AK 99801-1255
- Ph: 907 586 5018
- Hangar On the Wharf is known for fresh wild Alaskan seafood, steaks, burgers, and soups and salads.
- Red Dog Saloon: 278 S Franklin St, Juneau, AK 99801-1324
- Ph: 1 907-463-3658
- The Red Dog Saloon is one of the older restaurants in Juneau and originated during the mining era when Ragtime Hattie played the piano. They are open for Lunch and dinner. One of the specialties is their "Duckfart Shots". They have good food and appraisers.
- Twisted Fish Company Alaskan Grill: 550 S Franklin St, Juneau, AK 99801-1330
- Ph: 1 907-463-5033
- Twisted Fish Company Alaskan Grill is known for seafood, soups and salads, burgers, and pizza.
- Sandpiper Cafe: 429 W Willoughby Ave, Juneau, AK 99801-1727
- Ph: 1 907-586-3150
- Sandpiper Cafe is known for breakfast and brunch
- The Sandpiper Cafe is a great breakfast and lunch restaurant located a couple blocks north of the cruise ship terminal area. They have a great selection of menu items as well as some local specialty items that will make your mouth water. A must try for breakfast.
Juneau Alaska Airfare:
How do you travel to Juneau, Alaska?
The best way to travel to Juneau is by airplane. You can also travel to Juneau by taking a cruise from Seattle through Alaska's Inside Passage to Juneau.
Provides a twice daily jet service from Seattle, WA and Anchorage, AK with several stops in between.
Expedia provides a wide range of pricing with various airlines that fly to Juneau, including Alaska Airlines. United Airlines flies to Juneau, but only during the summer months. So check expedia for availability.
Best Things To Do In Alaska
To read more on the best things to do in Alaska here. We go into detail on some of the best cities along the Inside Passage to travel.
If you are interested in traveling to Alaska, one of the best things to do is to go on an Alaskan Cruise. This way you can experience the incredible adventure that Alaska brings. From whale watching, bears, fishing, glacier calving and more. Read more about our dream Alaska cruises here.
Best Time To Travel To Alaska
The best time to travel to Alaska depends on what you are wanting to do. The best time to cruise to Alaska is between May and August.
The lowest rainfall in Alaska is during the months of May and June. If you are wanting to visit Alaska to see whales, it's best to go on a cruise during June and July after the whales have made their migration.
However if you want to see bears in Alaska, the best time to travel to Alaska is during the month of May.
Juneau, Alaska History:
Juneau Alaska Travel Info
Juneau is the Capital of Alaska (since 1906) and is the second largest city in the USA by area. Juneau has a population of around 31,275. Juneau is a little bit larger than Rhode Island and is located at the foot of Mount Juneau. One of the unique aspects of Juneau is that it sits on the Gastineau Channel and it has no roads connecting it to the rest of Alaska. The reason is due to the extremely rugged mountains surrounding the city, so everything in Juneau has to be either flown in or carried in via a ferry (except for king crab legs :)
Even though Juneau is located really far north of the equator, it has a relatively mild climate. The average low temperature is around 23 degrees because of the influence of the Pacific Ocean.